Technology is driving the supply chain and logistics industry today. This article explores the top warehouse technologies of 2023 for the eCommerce industry.
In the wake of the global supply chain issues experienced over the last couple of years, warehouse operators and fulfillment service providers have been forced to adapt and evolve their operations to meet changing demands. As a result, 2022 has seen a significant increase in the adoption of technology solutions that enable better visibility, coordination, and strategic planning in warehouse management.
eCommerce businesses were quick to embrace the latest advancements in warehouse technology, recognizing the critical role that automation and data-driven decision-making play in their success. 3PLs and DTCs leverage automation tools and inventory management systems to streamline operations, reduce costs, and improve efficiency to stay competitive in today’s market.
ALSO READ: eCommerce Risks Your Customers are Worried About
As all businesses continue to deal with the fallout from the pandemic, you can’t overstate the importance of agility, flexibility, and resilience in supply chain management. Moreover, the lessons learned from the previous years are expected to shape the future of warehouse management going forward. Thus, warehouse operators and fulfillment service providers must adopt the latest technology to remain vigilant and adaptable to changing market conditions and emerging trends.
What is Warehouse Technology?
Warehouse technology has revolutionized how businesses manage their warehousing facilities, with various solutions available to maximize efficiency and productivity. These technology tools assist in different warehousing functions, such as inventory management, order processing, packing and fulfillment, internal movement of goods, receiving and storage, and many more.
One of the most significant advantages of warehouse technology is the ability to automate specific functions, which can lead to substantial cost savings and improved accuracy. With the help of automation tools, you can streamline operations, reduce errors, and increase throughput. Additionally, warehouse technology solutions enable you to speed up processes. For instance, implementing a warehouse control system provides real-time information on the physical movement of goods within the warehouse, allowing better control and direction of operations.
ALSO READ: 10 Ways to Promote Your Online Store Like a Pro
Warehouse technology has become essential to stay competitive in the ever-evolving warehousing industry. You can optimize operations, reduce costs, and improve customer satisfaction by leveraging the latest technology solutions.
Top Warehouse Technologies
Some of the major warehouse technologies used by most supply chain and logistics providers today include the following:
- 1. Packing Technology
Warehouse packing technology has transformed how businesses approach the packing process. Numerous technology solutions are available to streamline and automate various packing functions. Many options exist, from the packing process to documentation, to help automate packing tasks and minimize errors.
- Robotic Packing System. This system enables you to automate opening, filling, transporting, and palletizing product packaging. With the help of custom end-of-arm tools, you can pick items off warehouse racks and place them inside appropriate cases, regardless of the size and shape of the item. This technology is much more reliable and efficient than mechanical case packers or human workers, reducing labor costs and speeding up the fulfillment process.
- Automated Document Insertion. It is another excellent technology to streamline the process to ensure that every package goes out with proper documentation. These systems scan each item on the belt and generate necessary paperwork, including labels, manuals, and warranty certificates. This technology allows businesses to pack and ship products more efficiently, reducing delays and minimizing errors.
- 3D Bin Packing Technology. It is another innovative solution if you are looking to optimize your packing process. This technology automates measuring and weighing items, finding the right box size, and labeling and taping the package. By automating the entire process, you can complete your packing tasks much faster, saving time and reducing packaging materials.
You can optimize your packing process, reduce errors, and improve customer satisfaction by leveraging the latest Warehouse packing technology solutions.
- 2. Storage and Retrieval Technology
- The logistics industry has a long history of using storage and retrieval technology that has evolved with time. The latest versions of these systems are far more efficient and reduce the need for manual labor while increasing accuracy. By automating the storage and retrieval processes in a warehouse, these systems can help to streamline operations, improve productivity, and reduce costs.
- Inventory Management Solutions. Modern inventory management software offers real-time access to comprehensive details about your inventory levels and movements. It includes the items’ current stock, location within the warehouse, inventory distribution across multiple facilities, and sales channel data that provides insights into sold inventory.
Furthermore, inventory management software has robust analytics and forecasting capabilities to help you make informed decisions about stock levels and reordering. With this predictive functionality, you can minimize overstocking or stockouts and maintain an optimized inventory management system.
- Automated Storage and Retrieval System. Automated storage and retrieval system or ASRS is a game-changer in the logistics industry, offering numerous benefits to warehouse operations. They can help improve productivity, reduce costs, and enhance overall efficiency. By automating storage and retrieval tasks, ASRS can reduce the need for manual labor resulting in cost-efficiency and accuracy. ASRS can also help you optimize the use of your warehouse space, enabling you to store more products and fulfill orders more efficiently.
Usually, automated storage and retrieval systems work in two different modules, horizontal and vertical carousel modules. These carousel modules enable quick and reliable storage and retrieval while providing high picking accuracy. They can help improve your picking operations’ efficiency, thus contributing to an optimized fulfillment process.
Today’s efficient warehouse management system utilizes real-time data capture technology to streamline inventory control processes. It includes using barcode scanners, radio frequency identification (RFID) tags, and automated material handling equipment to track inventory movement and reduce human error. Additionally, these systems often have advanced algorithms and analytics capabilities to optimize storage and inventory placement, minimize waste, and increase efficiency. With a robust warehouse management system, you can better manage inventory, ensure the timely delivery of goods, and reduce costs associated with unnecessary storage space or lost merchandise. The integration of WMS with EDI technology can further enhance the effectiveness of warehouse operations by providing a seamless flow of information and data exchange between different systems and partners.
Advanced inventory tracking systems rely on real-time data technology such as barcode scanning, RFID tags, and automated inventory tracking software. These systems make tracking inventory levels easy, reducing stockouts and overstocking, and improving order accuracy. In addition, cloud-based inventory management software has enabled you to access inventory data from anywhere at any time, helping you make data-driven decisions and respond quickly to changes in demand.
Warehouse management systems enable you to maintain precise inventory records to help track the stock purchased and received and the products sold. This technology allows warehouses to accurately monitor inventory turnover and demand, making informed decisions about when to reorder and how much inventory you need to stock.
ALSO READ: eCommerce Fulfillment Automation and Reasons to Embrace it
Furthermore, these inventory records allow businesses to make informed procurement planning decisions. They can use this data to determine which products to discontinue and which will likely experience high demand.
As you can see, there are multiple warehouse technologies to handle seamless and efficient supply chain and logistics operations. However, it is smart to let the experts and professionals help you. A professional supply chain company leverages the latest innovations in warehouse automation systems, allowing for greater speed, accuracy, and efficiency. It enables you to focus on your core business while they worry about implementing any new technology you require.
After all, let the professionals work their magic for you!
XPDEL helps eCommerce brands accelerate their growth, empowering them with multi-channel fulfillment, whether shipping directly to consumers, delivering to businesses, or selling through retail stores. We are founded and operated by veterans with experience from Amazon, FedEx, UPS, JDA, Walmart, Target, and other leading companies in eCommerce and Retail. Guided by these experts, we provide customer experiences that help you grow your business.